The National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force sponsors many educational programs for young people and their families throughout the year, including docent-led tours, H+STEM classes, and summer/day camps.
Pricing for group tours | students and parent chaperones are $6 each, teachers are free.
The Standard and Science of Flight tours are an hour and a half to two hours long, including a thirty-minute movie series called the “Mission Experience”.
Depending on group size, we will divide your full group, and they will be guided around the museum by a docent.
At the end of your tour, we can provide a space for your students to eat a brought lunch free of charge. If you would like to have your lunch catered you are welcome to plan one for your visit. Just let us know to expect them. Please, be aware that you are responsible for selecting, planning, and paying for your caterer.
- Legacy Tour – This tour immerses students in an historic journey beginning with the rise of Adolf Hitler in 1933 through to the unconditional surrender of the Axis powers in 1945. Students will enrich their World War II knowledge with a focus on the outstanding service members of the Eighth Air Force. All tours are tailored according to grade level and include additional topics such as Homefront, Women and the Tuskegee Airmen.
- Science of Flight Tour (STEM) – This specialty tour educates students on the principles of aerodynamics utilizing the museum’s restored B-17 Flying Fortress to demonstrate the science, math and aeronautics necessary to make flight possible.
- Scavenger Hunt – Students will have an opportunity to move through the museum at their own pace to find the answers to provided questions. This is a great option to be added to a tour for no additional cost or for groups that are looking for a more casual experience. The scavenger hunt is tailored to grade level.
- Bunkin’ In – An overnight experience with fun educational activities, including our nighttime flashlight scavenger hunt. The night comes to a close with a themed movie based on the preference of the visiting group. Dinner, snacks, and breakfast are all included. All you need to bring is your sleeping bag and a flashlight. This one of a kind event includes a personalized dog tag souvenir for every student. Bunkin’ Ins are prefect for scout troops, classes, and even birthday parties. (Minimum of 20 students are required)
- Camps – The Mighty Eighth hosts a unique assortment of camps throughout the year. During the summer, camps will run Monday through Friday with each week having a special theme that is ultimately centered on the historic events of WWII. Have your camper build forts, crack codes, run in the mud and have a memorable summer of good old fashioned fun. Day Camps are also offered on some school holidays. Be sure to sign-up for our newsletters to be the first to know about our camp dates.
- H+STEM – Our History in STEM or H+STEM programs aim to have engaging, educational, and student driven, content. H+STEM features hands-on activities at one day in-person events focusing on how science, technology, engineering and mathematics have influenced the history of the Eighth Air Force, and World War II as a whole. Some past topics have included Scrapping and Recycling during World War II, Science of Flight, Mighty Medicine, and World War II to the Space Race.